Friday, July 28, 2017

News:: AtGames puts out another flop with the Sega Genesis Flashback

I knew it. Predicted it weeks ago, that the newest clone console offering by AtGames would be utter shit. And it's too bad; I have owned several AtGames products and, from a manufacturing perspective, I found the actual construction and design of their devices to not be too bad. But especially when it comes to Sega Genesis, they can't seem to fucking get it right. The Sega Genesis Flashback with its familiar classic design, cartridge slot, and 720p HDMI output could have been a winner.

I haven't used this particular device yet, but my past AtGames experience has not been good. I was a pretty heavy collector of Genesis games when clones started popping up, and they always have the same issues; incompatibility with numerous titles, processors that can't handle the games properly, and poor sound. And the early reports coming out are indicating that not a whole lot has changed.

The first thing that caught my attention was the absence of Ecco the Dolphin titles. I can understand not including them in a Genesis collection -- they are pretty niche and unpopular for the most part but are pretty standard in most Sega compilations. Oh no, what bothers me a lot more is the unwanted inclusion of a quarter library of games replacing missing ones that are nothing more than shitty knock-off titles that were never Genesis games to begin with. You know, classic Sega Genesis games we all remember like Adventure in the Park, and Bomber. The same sorts of generic, barely playable titles you see on a million Chinese clone consoles. Complete crap.

AtGames puts out another flop with the Sega Genesis Flashback screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2tKxW7r