Wednesday, June 21, 2017

News:: Ramadhan Blues: A Muslim Gamer's Woes

[It's always great to get someone else's perspective on the world, and to see how things you or I might readily and easily enjoy may encumber others' ways of life. Ricky Namara gives us great insight into his experiences as a Muslim gamer trying to enjoy his favorite hobby during the holy month of Ramadan. It's not only personal, but it's funny as heck - the part where he first asks his religious instructor about a particular move from Street Fighter might be the funniest thing I've ever read! Wanna see your blog on Destructoid's Front Page? Blog about something, ya jerk! - Wes]

Part of growing up where I live is to have a religious teacher (really an "instructor," if you want to be technical) come to our house every afternoon to yank me away from my precious gaming time to learn whether I'm going to the nice place where all the nice people go when they die, or to the not-so-nice place where the not-so-nice people get a pitchfork shoved up their bums.

One particular afternoon my teacher set me aside and told me all about Ramadhan fasting, a grand tradition that only comes once a year where all of the bad things I did for that whole entire year will be forgiven by Allah, The Top Dog, The Big A Himself, for the low, low price of having my breakfast moved up from 6 AM to 4 AM. It's called a "Half-Day Fasting," and it was a very popular method of introducing children age ten years or younger to this annual event.

Ramadhan Blues: A Muslim Gamer's Woes screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2sCgti0