Thursday, October 6, 2016

News:: Epic is releasing a free VR robot shooter for Oculus Touch

Remember that sick Bullet Train demo? It looks like we're not getting it, or it's been infused into what ultimately became Robo Recall, a lighthearted VR shooter revealed today at Oculus Connect. The plot seems familiar: In the not-so-distant future where advanced Roombas go smear poop around the city, so you need to shoot them thangs. We wrote about that demo last year and it was pretty damn spiffy.

I know, I know. You're probably thinking: "Yet another VR game where your invisible limbs are shooting stuff and standing still." I feel your frustration, as I've sampled 80 similar tech demos.

Still, this is m-fckin' Epic Games, so expect a level of polish well above the stuff you've played before. Remember when they turned your wimpy normcore iPad into a serious gaming machine with Infinity Blade? Nobody saw that coming. Looks like they've been cooking this one for a while. I think they've sat back, taken notes, and are going to show us how VR shooters are really done. 

I do like the ability to grab enemies and hurl them into the air (they have convenient handles!) for juggle combos. The game seems to reward tricky shots and physics-based continuous robot carnage, which I believe will be a VR first (or at least rare) as that's not a common mechanic we've seen in other virtual reality shooters. The high res art in the gallery below is certainly not too shabby. Clearly this is going to be their investor showboat for what Unreal Engine can do with VR. 

If you can't wait and are picking up hardware this Q4, I strongly suggest looking into Raw Data, which IMHO is the only must-have VR shooter out now (with Space Pirate Trainer as a close second). I shouted like an idiot when I shot the legs off a droid and the torso jumped at my face. Naughty robots, they're my bag, baby! VentureBeat took it for a spin today, check out their preview

Also, because it's almost the weekend, bonus video if you made it this far:

Epic is releasing a free VR robot shooter for Oculus Touch screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2dIV6GA