Sunday, April 8, 2018

News:: I love me some Final Fantasy VII but hate, hate, hate, hate, hate Cait Sith

The launch of Final Fantasy VII was a watershed moment for the gaming industry. After a decade-plus of trying to get western gamers into the JRPG genre, it exploded in the US and Europe with its memorable cast and animated cut-scenes that were far superior to most other games of the era but laughably bad in retrospect. Despite not being the best looking game two decades later, I thoroughly enjoyed my first go with it when I played it on my PSTV just a few years back. The story and the gameplay hold up well, and I’d be all for giving it another playthrough except for the fact that I cannot stand Cait Sith.

I don’t throw the word “hate” around much because it loses its power when ascribed to anything that even remotely displeases me. That goes doubly for games. Obviously, there are games I don’t like. I’ve reviewed some that I scored with a two or less and earlier this year I dedicated a Destructoid Discusses question to my displeasure with Major Minor’s Majestic March. Yet I wouldn’t say I capital H-A-T-E any of those games. They’re just… bad.

Cait Sith, however, I hate. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate him or her or it or whatever the fuck this creature is. I shouldn’t though. I was kept in the dark on most of the story elements of Final Fantasy VII for nearly 20 years when I finally got my chance to play it. As somebody which a cursory knowledge of the plot, I just assumed Cait Sith would be one of my favorite characters. Why not? It’s a cat riding a giant stuffed toy or something. It attacks with a megaphone. That’s all I need to fall in love. So when it joined my party, I put it directly into my main party. Everything was going well until -- SPOILER ALERT -- that motherfucker double-crossed me.

I’ve known the fate or Aerith since the 90s, but Cait Sith’s betrayal had me dropping my controller in disbelief. First, it steals the Keystone from me, then I find out the person controlling it has taken Marlene hostage, forcing my team to take it along with us. I know the cat eventually sacrifices itself to help my team and soon becomes a spy for AVALANCHE, but I’ll be honest, I’m still not over what went down at Gold Saucer. As soon as its intentions were revealed, I removed Cait Sith from my main trio and never put it back into play.

As ridiculous as it sounds -- and it sounds incredibly ridiculous when I say it to myself out loud -- I still hold an actual grudge against the character like an old lady with dementia who thinks her stories are real. Final Fantasy VII is one of my favorite games ever, but I just may very well go to the grave with a deep-seeded hatred of Cait Sith.

I love me some Final Fantasy VII but hate, hate, hate, hate, hate Cait Sith screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid https://www.destructoid.com/i-love-me-some-final-fantasy-vii-but-hate-hate-hate-hate-hate-cait-sith-496012.phtml