Sunday, March 11, 2018

News:: King of the Hat is my favorite game from EGLX

The best party games are the ones you're able to pick-up quickly. It's what makes Mario Party or Towerfall or WarioWare: Smooth Moves the go-to games for get-togethers with friends and drinking buddies. These are the types of games anyone can understand and can lead to hours of fun and competitiveness that run long into the night. In 2019, King of the Hat may join those title as a must-play game for parties.

I almost missed it as I walked the floor at EGLX. With the crowds on Saturday, it was easy to overlook. But I was told I had to play it. So I made my way over and watched as a group of four laughed and battled in this extremely simple looking four-player brawler. The idea is simple: jump on your opponent's hat to kill them in a Smash Bros.-like platform stage. Your hat is your lifeblood; if it gets smashed, you're dead. You can throw your hat in different directions to avoid a smash and also to knock your opponents' hat off. Those are the basics of the game, combining into a complete package that greatly rewards players who take significant risks.

It took me just a minute with the game, using knock-off GameCube controllers, to figure out what I needed to do. When I finally got three others to join me, I absolutely destroyed them through the first two-out-of-five wins before they got the hang of it. There was a handful of characters to choose from in the demo, but I went with a sentient washing machine, that can't walk for shit, but can triple-jump and has a devastating drop. After those first two wins, the other players gave me a run for my money. That's just how easy it is to pick this game up. A few rounds later, another player and I were tied up at four wins apiece, when I managed to crush her and seal my victory.

King of the Hat is my favorite game from EGLX screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid https://www.destructoid.com/king-of-the-hat-is-my-favorite-game-from-eglx-493721.phtml