Wednesday, July 26, 2017

News:: Dtoid in Japan: Hands-on with Mario Kart Grand Prix VR Arcade

Despite everything cool I saw at E3, an official Nintendo-licensed Mario Kart VR was the most pleasant surprise of the year for me. It sounded too good to be true. A few of us in the press room had to do a triple take to believe it wasn't some weird fan-made homebrew (which by the way has existed since 2014, though I've never bothered). 

Is this real life? I couldn't wait to see what the world's first Nintendo "true" VR game might be like, so here I was ready to get back on the horse, er, kart. No offense to Virtual Boy fans, but I've been patiently waiting 22 years for this moment, and it's finally here. 100% authentic and it's out right now Japan, open to the public at the world's largest VR Arcade, a new facility in Shinjuku. I'm one of the lucky few to have spent all morning there for a chance to play the brand-new Mario Kart VR from start to finish. 

The burning questions I'll try to answer for you today: How does it play, what's the VR like, does it suck, and is it worth the trip to have a life-sized Luigi give you "the look"?

Warning: Minor spoilers follow, with the full track spoiled in the off-camera videos. 

Dtoid in Japan: Hands-on with Mario Kart Grand Prix VR Arcade screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2vJhNk5