Saturday, April 7, 2018

News:: I Hate Running Backwards is the Devolver crossover game I didn't realize I wanted

With how mega popular Nintendo’s Super Smash Bros. franchise has been, you’d think more developers would try their hand at making wild crossovers. I know Capcom has been doing it with Street Fighter and Marvel and it’s not like JRPGs have ever shied away from seemingly random mash-ups (Tokyo Mirage Sessions is proof of that), but what about an indie game publisher?

I Hate Running Backwards is basically that: Devolver Digital’s Smash Bros. That isn’t exactly correct, though, because this game isn’t a fighter. Instead, it is a “Shoot Em Down,” as Binx Interactive’s Bernard Bachrach told me. This is like an old-school, on-rails, coin-op shooter (think 1943), just you’re running backwards toward the top of the screen shooting down.

You’ll select from a cast of characters from Devolver’s range of titles (prominent faces being Sam Stone from Serious Sam and Lo Wang from Shadow Warrior) and then unleash hell on a range of enemies from various different games. The demo featured pretty much every enemy from Serious Sam (including those asshole Kleer skeletons) and they were recreated perfectly. The kamikaze guys even had their iconic scream, which is just music to my ears.

I Hate Running Backwards is the Devolver crossover game I didn't realize I wanted screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid https://www.destructoid.com/i-hate-running-backwards-is-the-devolver-crossover-game-i-didn-t-realize-i-wanted-497734.phtml