Friday, November 3, 2017

News:: Review: Thor: Ragnarok

While I like the Marvel Cinematic Universe overall, I've never been that interested in the Thor movies. I love the Walt Simonson run on The Mighty Thor, but the previous live-action films featuring the God of Thunder never really appealed to me. They looked surprisingly plain, even skippable.

But along came Taika Waititi. The New Zealand filmmaker responsible for comedies like Eagle vs. Shark, What We Do in the Shadows, and Hunt for the Wilderpeople seemed like an odd choice to helm a Thor film. I suppose he can thank James Gunn, whose success with Guardians of the Galaxy paved the way for funnier, stranger MCU entries.

Thor: Ragnarok has a lot in common with the Guardians movies and 2015's Ant-Man. It's a standalone romp heavy on laughs and overflowing with personality. Take the visual style of Jack Kirby, add some nods to Simonson stories, and blend all of that with the unabashed goofiness of a 1980s sci-fi flick (The Ice Pirates, Flash Gordon).

I say thee--Hell yea.

Review: Thor: Ragnarok screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2lImLwB