Sunday, October 1, 2017

News:: Review: Pokemon Silver

As someone who grew up in the late '90's and early 2000's, I was a huge fan of the Pokémon series as a child. I was the type of person who'd make it a habit to wake up as early as possible to watch the latest episode of the animated series before school. I'd collect as many of the trading cards as humanly possible. I even had a few toys based off of my favourite collectable creatures. But for a while, that was it as far as my exposure to the series could go.

I didn't exactly grow up in the wealthiest of households, and while I knew that this franchise I was so enamoured with was based off of a video game series for the Game Boy, said games were completely out of my reach for a number of years. I still recall looking on in envy as those at my school traded and battled with their newly caught Pokémon, and as they shared rumours about tricks that could (supposedly) net you a Mew, a Missingno, or even the mythical 'Pikablu' — the latter of which was only obtainable in the fabled Japan-exclusive Pokémon Green, of course.

It was only a couple of years later that I finally managed to save up for a second-hand Game Boy Color of my very own. My first game for it? A used copy of Pokémon Silver. As soon as I left the store with my newly acquired game and console in-hand, I excitedly erased the save file previously left on the cartridge and began my first real adventure into the world of Pokémon.

For a long while, it was almost impossible to find me without my beloved Game Boy and copy of Silver. By the time the internal battery in my Silver cartridge ran dry, I'd managed to accumulate well over 350 hours of game time.

I don't think I'll be able to put so many hours into Pokémon Silver these days, but revisiting the game on the 3DS Virtual Console has shown me that my adoration for it is definitely still there.

Review: Pokemon Silver screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2xT5FAn