Wednesday, October 4, 2017

News:: Review: Pokemon Gold

Pokémon for me personally was a defining piece of media growing up. I can still recall recess at school and seeing groups of kids huddled around Game Boy screens or playing the card game. I even remember the first episode of Pokémon I ever watched -- “Mystery at the Lighthouse” -- in which Ash caught a Krabby, the gang met Bill for the first time in his bizarre Kabuto costume, and the insanely overgrown Dragonite that left me in awe and immediately hooked on all things Pokémon.

I also still remember the fever pitch and hype surrounding the second generation of Pokémon. I remember all the playground rumors, such as Marill being some sort of evolution of Pikachu or Pichu, or speculation on new legendary Pokémon and talk of a “Mewthree.”

This is something I can't genuinely say about other forms of media I consumed growing up. For instance, I couldn't tell you what the first episode of Street Sharks I watched was, or even what the show was remotely about...other than the insanity of it all and the very real fear I then had growing up of bi-pedal sharks chewing through the cement I was walking on at any given moment.

But, what I can tell you is this: Pokémon Gold is without a doubt a shining example of a sequel done right.

Review: Pokemon Gold screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2wxmbTh