Tuesday, October 31, 2017

News:: Overcoming Fear: Knowledge is Power

[Anyone who says they aren't afraid of water levels and the awful music that typically plays as you watch your hero clutch their throat for air in a futile attempt to continue being a living person is a liar. Cedi, thankfully, is a truthful person. Join them as they recount a horrible fear of drowning in a hotel pool, and how they eventually learned to move beyond that fear with reason. Get your work on Dtoid's front page by participating in our monthly Bloggers Wanted prompts! Have a spooky Halloween! - Wes]

Confession time: Despite how much I like to project strength, when it comes to games invoking a sense of fear I’m a big wuss. Jump scares make me seizure and lock up more than any flashing lights do, and I was diagnosed with autism and seizures from an early age. Horror games and movies are my “no thanks” genre. I’m plenty alright with creepy, unnerving, and disturbing atmospheres, but if a game wants to make me actually be afraid, my gut reaction is to throw the controller out of my window and into my neighbor’s window, whom I then beg to play the game in my stead.

Hyperbole aside, I actually used to ask my sister play the haunted levels of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle because I was that afraid of the ghosts that pop up out of nowhere. She had rarely played the game outside the Chao Garden before that point. So when I saw that this month’s Bloggers Wanted prompt was about facing and overcoming fear, I took a big gulp. How could I possibly pretend to overcome fear when I’m so timid that I constantly try to avoid it?

Overcoming Fear: Knowledge is Power screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2ihoUdu