Sunday, September 3, 2017

News:: What game do you most regret selling or trading in?

I have a troubled history with collecting games. Growing up, I lived in one console household until both my brother and I were in high school. So when we got our NES, that is all we had. When it came time to move up to the SNES, we sold our 8-bit wonder and all of its games to pay for the new system. When the PlayStation came into fashion, we traded in the SNES to Funcoland to pay for it. It wasn't until the PlayStation 2 and Dreamcast were available that my brother and I were able to have our own consoles as well as our own TV sets.

With my Dreamcast, I finally had a choice. As a teenager with a job, I didn't need to trade in anything to pay for something new, but there was a problem: the practice had already imprinted on my brain. Three generations of starting from scratch will do that. So I kept with my habit of trading in the old for the new. When the Dreamcast was discontinued, I traded it in and put the money towards a GameCube. The GameCube led to the Wii and the Wii to the Wii U. 

I've wasted a lot of fucking money on games I should never have purchased, and I've wasted far too much on games I gave up on before I had the chance to truly experience them. In the Destructoid Slack chat, this topic was brought up as I lamented my decision to trade in my copy of Cubivore -- stupid, stupid CJ! -- and I thought it would make a great topic for a Destructoid Discusses question. I was going to talk about my regret in getting rid of that game, or Opoona which I somehow bought brand new for $9, but as I write this lede I realize I'm still not over trading in my Dreamcast.

Fuck me I was carelessly shortsighted with that one! I had the system, two of those awesome VMU memory cards, two controllers and the following kick-ass games: Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Marvel vs. Capcom, NFL 2K1, Crazy TaxiReady 2 Rumble Boxing and Space Channel 5. All of them wonderful games, all of them I would play today, all of them gone. My anger at Sega for discontinuing the product so soon after I got it for Christmas clouded my judgment and made me miss out on so many other titles I could have enjoyed. I didn't even get a chance to try Jet Set Radio or Shenmue.

I have a lot of trade-in regrets, but nothing causes me to lose sleep like my idiotic decision to get rid of my Dreamcast collection.

What game do you most regret selling or trading in? screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2evNENM