Tuesday, August 8, 2017

News:: Atari announces Tempest 4000, Jeff Minter involved

The very first thing I posted on Destructoid as a staff writer was a love letter to Jeff Minter, the creator of Tempest 2000 for the Atari Jaguar, the “visualizer” you see on many consoles and PCs when you put a music CD in, and wonderful newer titles such as TxK and the jaw-dropping Polybius for PlayStation 4. In the same article, I berated Atari for the particularly shitty practice of trying to block TxK from release on other platforms apart from the Vita due to its similarities to Tempest, in what I viewed as poor treatment of a brilliant developer who essentially made Tempest 2K what it was in the first place. If I remember right, I used bad words to describe Atari. Bad mean words.

Well Atari -- I'm sorry. I apologize. I don’t know what’s going on behind closed doors, and underestimated your intent to get back into the industry, but bringing Jeff Minter back on to head Tempest 4000 is a really solid fucking start, and that’s exactly what is happening right in time for a holiday release on PC and current-gen consoles.

Atari announces Tempest 4000, Jeff Minter involved screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2viDNCu