Thursday, February 2, 2017

News:: MetaArcade showed me a choose your own adventure creator, and I ruined it

The first major disagreement I ever remember having with my first girlfriend wasn't about jealousy, it wasn't about a missed anniversary, it wasn't even about sex. Instead, it was about a person's natural ability to draw. She was an artist (still is, to the best of my knowledge), and she took some measure of offense to my idea for some kind of device that would allow people to overcome whatever barriers stood between their hands and the image in their head; to draw whatever they wanted at will.

To her, being able to draw was something that set her apart. It was something that made her special, and she understandably took pride in that. To me, it was about finding more seats at the table. Taking an extra step out of creation doesn't necessarily make everyone an artist; I mean this as inoffensively as possible, but everyone speaks a language and yet not everyone is a writer. Of course, there's always the ever-present concept of privilege -- a strong education can hone the innate skills of a budding wordsmith, but not everyone has access to those particular tools.

But even in a utopia, where every person started from the same point, not everyone is born with the need to create nor a vision they felt a burning need to execute, so I didn't really fully empathize with her fear. Look at video production, for example. YouTube is a wide-reaching publishing platform, everyone has phone cameras, and there are plenty of free video editing tools that should fit the needs of the prosumer. And yes, there are tons of bad videos clogging the pipes of the internet, but at the same time, there are creators have finding dedicated audiences, thanks in part to how easy it is to create video content. The democratization of tools is one of my favorite concepts of the modern era, and I've been dying for it to arrive in the video game sphere. Enter the MetaArcade Adventures Platform.

This is my very long-winded way of saying the MetaArcade Adventures Platform is another great step towards populist video game production tools, and I ruined it with my pee jokes.

MetaArcade showed me a choose your own adventure creator, and I ruined it screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2k1rwvU