Wednesday, April 4, 2018

News:: Talking localization with Yakuza localization producers Scott Strichart and Sam Mullen

For years now, I’ve been a huge fan of the Yakuza series. The first title I played was Yakuza 3 back in 2011 and it took me by complete surprise. It was basically everything I had ever wanted out of a video game, right down to kooky characters and gut-wrenching action moments. It also had an extreme attention to detail in recreating a small slice of Tokyo, a city I’ve always fantasized about visiting.

When the chance arose to speak with the localization team behind the series, I couldn’t pass that up. I had always wondered about how one gets started doing localization or what the process might be for selecting which features get cut. With Yakuza 6 releasing soon, it felt like the best opportunity to have a chat with Scott Strichart and Sam Mullen (producers over at Atlus that handle Sega’s Japanese content). While I wasn’t able to directly talk to them, I did put together a couple of questions that hopefully answers how the localization process isn’t as straightforward as you might think.

Talking localization with Yakuza localization producers Scott Strichart and Sam Mullen screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid https://www.destructoid.com/talking-localization-with-yakuza-localization-producers-scott-strichart-and-sam-mullen-497204.phtml