Friday, July 7, 2017

News:: Which is worse: Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire or Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow?

The lead-up to the launch of Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow has been entertaining. Since the show’s second cancellation, I’ve been trying to get any heaping helping of Fry, Bender, and Leela available. Last year that meant suffering through A Game of Drones, a serviceable match-3 puzzle game that lacked the defining characteristics of the show. I made my way through roughly 70 levels of that game before growing bored of it and moving on.

Worlds of Tomorrow, out now on iOS and Android, is actually a worse app than A Game of Drones could ever be. It’s a city builder, ala The Simpsons Tapped Out, Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff, Peanuts: Snoopy’s Town Tale, some fucking Garfield game and literally 100 other apps; all free-to-play, all built around the premise people will pay if they don’t have to wait. That’s what city builders are: waiting games. Right now in Worlds of Tomorrow, I’m waiting for Fry to finish doing the robot while also waiting for the Professor to stop admiring various lengths of wire, Amy to stop embracing her robosexuality, and Bender to stop shoplifting for fun. I need them to finish up so I can assign new tasks, or even the same ones once more, as I slowly gain enough money, pizza slices, and Hypnotons to continue.

If this were any other title, any other IP, I would have deleted it long ago. I don’t think I’d even give Animal Crossing this time of day if it ends up being a city builder app. But Worlds of Tomorrow will stay on my phone because of that Futurama charm. I said the lead-up to the game was entertaining. The short commercials featuring original animation were wonderful. I argued these trailers would be better than the game. Spoiler Alert: I was right. The opening animation for the app, featuring two Hypnotoads locking eyes and ripping the universe apart, is genuinely funny and as far as I can tell, completely inaccessible after I’ve watched it that first time.

Which is worse: Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire or Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow? screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2uzCxdo