Saturday, October 15, 2016

News:: If VR is the future, I'm stuck in the past

Not too long ago, Oculus Rift founder and guy with a cartoon rabbit's name Palmer Luckey sent out a tweet sharing his excitement for the future of VR:


This came at the end of a couple tweets where Luckey told people not to worry about bad coverage of VR games and technology because the revolution of Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality gaming will be so much bigger than a bad review here or there. Since the launch of the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, coverage of VR hasn't exactly been glowing. Many feel there aren't enough good games out there to justify the cost and a lot of the promises and ideas presented during the exhaustive alpha and beta stages of development have yet to materialize. 

But this has changed leading up to this week's launch of the PlayStation VR. I've heard it referred to as the first mass-market VR headset. With more than 40 million PlayStation 4 owners out there, there are millions of potential customers who could be singing its praises by the end of the year. With its comparatively low entry price and lineup of launch-window titles, the PlayStation VR could be the start of a consistent and positive conversation about VR, instead of the arguably muddled one we've had so far.

It's a conversation I will be unable to participate in because VR simply doesn't work for me. I don't mean that in an "Oh, I don't think it's that cool" type of way, I mean the technology literally does not work for me.

If VR is the future, I'm stuck in the past screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2drL2AR