Sunday, September 28, 2014

News::Pokémon taught me how to read and changed my life forever

[Dtoid community blogger The Emolga Editorial shares a wonderful little story about how gaming changed his life for the better. Want to see your own writing appear on the front page? Go write something! --Mr Andy Dixon]


Do you remember the first time you experienced Pokémon? For me, I didn't even know what I was experiencing.


I couldn't yet read the words on the screen of my new Game Boy Color I had gotten for my sixth birthday. All I knew was that the game I was given was a very appealing yellow color with a cool looking character on the cover and it had a funny looking letter "e" in it. I hadn't even seen the show yet, as I was given the game before the anime became super popular in my little town.


I was so fascinated by the game and all of the things happening in it, but I couldn't understand the words that were on the bottom of the screen. My parents or my brother would sit down with me while I played the game and read what was being said to me for an hour or so a night. I wanted to be able to understand what was going on without any help so badly, so one day I pestered my brother enough until he agreed to explain to me what different words were and how to pronounce them all.


Pokémon taught me how to read and changed my life forever screenshot


Read more...



via destructoid http://ift.tt/YxEYfr