Sunday, August 3, 2014

News::Whippersnappers and gaming, or why you should be involved as a parent

[Sometimes great community blogs come from Dtoid staff, and this piece by Brittany Vincent is no exception. Want to see your own words on the front page? Go write something! --Mr Andy Dixon]


As unfortunate as it was that I didn't receive my first PlayStation until two years after its initial release date, the waiting allowed for the scrutiny of certain releases. For example, I had been marking it down to purchase PaRappa the Rapper, and was looking forward to purchasing Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. The anticipation killed, but I had an idea of the library I was wanting to build in my mind. By the time I had received these games and the PlayStation was nearing its final years, my father came home one day with a sequel to a title that I had never gotten to play: Parasite Eve II.


"This just came out today," he'd informed me, unwrapping it and looking it over. My nine-year-old eyes immediately scoped out the Mature rating on the cover, and my heart sank. Prior to the PlayStation age, I had been allowed to play most any game I had asked to, having logged countless hours in Doom and Rise of the Triad. However, as the years passed it seemed my parents were trying harder and harder (to no avail) to shelter me from as many adult themes as they could. With the advent of the original Parasite Eve and its sexual references, I had been asked to choose a different present for birthdays prior.


"I guess I won't get to play it, then." My father thumbed through the game manual, and shrugged. I'll never forget how he gently removed the disc from its jewel case, and handed me the disc.


"This one is supposed to incorporate RPG elements," he said with a smile. In that moment I knew I would be trusted with any game I chose to play, because I had proven myself responsible and level-headed.


Whippersnappers and gaming, or why you should be involved as a parent screenshot


Read more...



via destructoid http://ift.tt/1o4xhbA