Tuesday, February 4, 2014

News::Here Come The Next-Gen Kids

An opinion piece via EGMR in which the author discusses his dismay at how easy it is for newbies to avoid bad games; they're practically spoiled now. Quote: "Maybe Im just old now, but the very first time I heard someone say, without a hint of irony, almost insistently, that the Unreal Tournament announcer voice in Dota 2 originated from DotA (itself created by Icefrog together with a larger game called Warcraft III), I nearly flipped my shit in disbelief. At that very point in time I knew exactly how collectors of contemporary classics felt when I had liked a book that was derivative of something like Catcher in the Rye, or to coin a gaming comparison, when I liked a game called BioShock for what it was, even though it was basically System Shock 2 again. Only it wasnt, because Rapture is its own entity and that was the point of playing the game getting lost in that dystopian world. Well, that and a certain message about narrative. Regardless, I understood how gamers o...



via N4G: pc news feed http://ift.tt/1nOTLec