Sunday, June 23, 2013

News::Webcomic Megatokyo still exists, will get a visual novel


Oh my God... do you guys remember Megatokyo, the Western-created, manga-inspired webcomic about two American nerds who decide to take a trip to Japan, get stuck there, and find out that the country is exactly like all the anime and videogames they consumed as kids? Did you know that the damn thing is still running !? And it's now being adapted into a visual novel?


I was reading this way back when I started college. I remember attending Anime Weekend Atlanta 2004 and getting comic creator Fred Gallagher to sign and doodle in my copy of the first printed volume. I was a huge fan back in the day, but I lost interest because of the drastic changes in the comic's tone and direction -- technically, it didn't have much direction to begin with.


Originally a collaboration with another gent by the name of Rodney Caston, Megatokyo was a simple four-panel "culture shock" comedy comic with no true on-going narrative. Once Caston left and Gallagher assumed complete control, it started to develop some semblance of a plot that mashed relationship drama with zombies and robots and other crazy sci-fi tropes. Eventually, the "drama" became too ridiculous and annoying, and I couldn't understand where any of it was supposed to be heading towards, so I stopped visiting the site.


Webcomic Megatokyo still exists, will get a visual novel screenshot


Read more...



via destructoid http://www.destructoid.com/webcomic-megatokyo-still-exists-will-get-a-visual-novel-256844.phtml