Wednesday, May 16, 2018

News:: The 300 Week 19: Riding the MoviePass Crazy Train Until It Completely Derails

Aloha, folks, and welcome back to The 300, a recurring feature on my doable-but-unwise quest to watch 300 movies in theaters in the year 2018. I’ll be watching new releases, classics, and hidden gems to experience the wide world of cinema in all its forms. There should be something each week that you can also enjoy.

As always, there are three rules for The 300:

  • The movie must be at least 40 minutes long, meeting the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ definition of a feature film.
  • I must watch the movie at a movie theater, screening room, or outdoor screening venue.
  • While I can watch movies I’ve seen before 2018, I cannot count repeated viewings of the same film in 2018 multiple times.

MoviePass is alive this week, but I wonder for how long. The company said they have a $300 million line of credit, which should keep them afloat for about 17 months. But as Business Insider noted in an opinion column, MoviePass has other woes to consider. Parent company Helios and Matheson Analytics loses more than $20 million a month, and if their stock remains below $1, they could be kicked off NASDAQ before the end of 2018. So far, the MoviePass train remains on the track. Full steam ahead into certain peril, until tech CEOs become hobos.

Also, apropos of nothing, I’ve heard “More News from Nowhere” by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds so many times in theaters before movies that I consider it the de facto theme song of The 300. (By “theaters” I obviously mean my go-to places, Metrograph and Quad Cinema, not multiplexes. Though could you imagine hearing Nick Cave at a Regal Cinema? Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.)

And so, onward.

The 300 Week 19: Riding the MoviePass Crazy Train Until It Completely Derails screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid https://www.destructoid.com/the-300-week-19-riding-the-moviepass-crazy-train-until-it-completely-derails-503276.phtml