Monday, April 16, 2018

News:: Welcome to the horror Renaissance!

When it comes to horror movies, it's very hard to impress me. I'm not saying that I'm a horror movie snob, but at a certain point, horror just wasn't scary anymore. I wasn't being unsettled by a gruesome monster, or unnerved at a creepy hallway, or dreaded seeing a character walk into an obvious scare. I just became numb to what horror traditionally was. 

I grew up watching horror movies like Nightmare on Elm StreetEvil Dead 2, and the classic Hammer horror films. Those movies defined what horror could be for me, but as I got older, I wasn't scared of them. Hell, I wasn't even disturbed by them. I just saw them as good movies with a dark aesthetic that was different from what was popular with my generation. While everyone else watched Disney movies, I was more interested watching Psycho. And let's not even get started at the state of then modern horror movies like The Blair Witch Project, The Ring, and Paranormal Activity

But a weird thing happened this weekend when I went to go see A Quiet Place. It was a fantastic movie and a part of why it was so good was because it got under my skin in a way that I didn't expect. I wouldn't call it a scary movie, but it presented its concepts in a way that felt different and felt unique. And then I looked back at the past couple of years and realized that there are now plenty of horror movies that I would call modern classics. I can't even begin to count them all, there are just that many of them.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm happy to say that we're in a new golden age of horror movies. An age where creators are willing to take risks on classic horror norms to make something fresh, sometimes scary, but always entertaining.  

Welcome to the horror Renaissance! screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid https://www.destructoid.com/welcome-to-the-horror-renaissance--498899.phtml