Wednesday, March 28, 2018

News:: The 300 Week 12: I Love Robot Smartphone Dogs

Hey there, you mugs, welcome back to The 300, a recurring feature on my foolish attempt to watch 300 movies in theaters in the year 2018. I’ll be watching new releases, classics, hidden gems, and festival films to experience the wide world of cinema in all its forms. Hopefully there’s something here for you that you can discuss or check out.

As always, there are three rules for The 300:

  • The movie must be at least 40 minutes long, meeting the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ definition of a feature film.
  • I must watch the movie at a movie theater, screening room, or outdoor screening venue.
  • While I can watch movies I’ve seen before 2018, I cannot count repeated viewings of the same film in 2018 multiple times.

The first Kit Noir Film Festival wrapped up over the weekend, and I managed to see four of the films. Despite a few technical difficulties during one screening, the maiden voyage went well. Next year’s Kit Noir Film Festival will focus on adaptations of Cornell Woolrich, one of the great pulp writers and a damn enjoyable hardboiled prose stylist. The best-known Woolrich adaptation is Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window, which seems like a good candidate for the festival’s anchor film. While not film noir in a classic sense, Rear Window is at the very least noir-adjacent, and one of Hitchcock’s best.

It’s back to the grind for the next few weeks as the 2018 Tribeca Film Festival approaches. Tickets are on sale now. Both Jesse Lab and I will be there. I’ve worked out my schedule for the festival, and assuming I don’t burn out, I should be able to pack a month’s worth of movies into just 10 days.

I will probably burn out.

And so, onward.

The 300 Week 12: I Love Robot Smartphone Dogs screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid https://www.destructoid.com/the-300-week-12-i-love-robot-smartphone-dogs-496288.phtml