Wednesday, January 17, 2018

News:: Super Meat Boy is brilliant on the Switch even without a traditional d-pad

Having owned my Switch for just under a month now, I’ve come to terms with its idiosyncrasies. The button and joystick layout isn’t exactly perfect but I’m used to it by now. The Joy-Con controllers are effing small but I know which of my games I can adequately use them with. The battery doesn’t last as long as I’d like it to, but I also have to sleep at night so that one’s really a wash. Like with most gaming devices, I just needed some time to get used to it. Now that I have, it’s on its way to being my favorite Nintendo product ever.

The one issue that is still stuck in my craw is the lack of a traditional directional pad on the Joy-Con. A mainstay since the NES, it’s almost unheard of to have a Nintendo device launch without one. I understand gaming’s reliance on it has fallen greatly since the medium went 3D, but I still think every 2D game is more enjoyable when I control my character with a d-pad. That’s probably why I haven’t completed Metroid: Samus Returns or Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King yet. I thought the lack of a d-pad would keep me from enjoying Super Meat Boy too, but if anything, I love it far more on my Switch than I do my Mac.

Super Meat Boy is brilliant on the Switch even without a traditional d-pad screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2DJt9ZZ