Friday, January 19, 2018

News:: Gravel's arcade approach reminds me of off-road racing's heyday

I want, for a moment, to tell you about the absolute worst time I’ve had while gaming. Well, I actually wasn’t gaming. I was chilling out max and relaxing all cool with a buddy of mine for what I thought was going to be some kickass Cuphead time on his Xbox One. While we eventually would get to that near-masterpiece, the first 45 minutes of my visit was spent looking on as he tweaked every goddamn tweakable part of his 1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee in Forza 7.

I’ve played Forza, Gran Turismo, and Project Cars, and while they’re all just stunning to look at, I just don’t care for racing games where I have to pay attention to that many minute details and make minuscule adjustments all in hopes of improving my lap time by as much as three seconds. Hell, I barely tolerate the customization options in the last Mario Kart. Call me a filthy casual, but I believe racing games are at their best when I can just pick a car and get my ass on the track. That’s what I like and that’s what Gravel is looking to deliver when it launches next month.

It’s been a while since we last talked about Gravel and I was surprised when the Square Enix representatives on hand for my hands-on informed me its launch was just over a month out. Given it was supposed to launch last summer, maybe I shouldn’t have been too surprised.

Gravel's arcade approach reminds me of off-road racing's heyday screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid https://www.destructoid.com/gravel-s-arcade-approach-reminds-me-of-off-road-racing-s-heyday-483127.phtml