Friday, September 15, 2017

News:: Whittle, don't grind

I have always been unrepentant in my love for video game grinding. Give me a billion meaningless tasks to do and, if I like the game enough, I will check them off one by one. We're not talking about collecting all the heart containers in any given Zelda. We're talking more pointless. We're talking grabbing all the flags/feathers/treasure chests/etc. in an Assassin's Creed.

For years, I've just accepted that I'm a weirdo. When all my friends say "Hahaha nah, fuck that," I'm the one who's willing to put in the time. I've always found it therapeutic to be able to inch my way toward an attainable goal. Percentage point by percentage point, I can see myself getting closer.

Now I have a more accurate term for this. Longtime MMO developer Laralyn McWilliams fired off a short tweet thread today that explains how whittling is the concept developers should aim for, not grinding. Here's the transcript of her tweets:

Whittle, don't grind screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2x8RjLz