Monday, July 3, 2017

News:: Changes: How I learned to stop hating Dark Souls and love Dark Souls

The first time I saw this logo, I was elated. The second time I saw it, I never wanted to see it again.

I’ve been a day 1 Souls player from the very beginning. On October 6, 2009 I walked down to the local game store, bought Demon’s Souls, and the trajectory for my gaming tastes were determined for the next 8 years. However, it may not have been this way, if it weren’t for the massive changes that happened to Dark Souls.

When Dark Souls first released, I hated it. While I felt Demon’s Souls was fair in its difficulty and progression, Dark Souls felt like it was specifically designed to be unfair and waste people’s time (might I add that being unfair and being difficult are not the same thing). Now, looking back, having played through the game several dozen times, I imagine that I wouldn’t have much trouble with the game at 1.0 anymore. I know all its ins and outs, where all the weapons are, all the boss weaknesses, and how to get anywhere I want from the very start of the game. I’ve come to hold its world and boss design as some of the best I’ve ever played. But especially for a first playthrough, it really wasn’t enjoyable.

Changes: How I learned to stop hating Dark Souls and love Dark Souls screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2uib7Jb