Tuesday, May 30, 2017

News:: Review: The Walking Dead: A New Frontier: From the Gallows

[Spoilers for the previous four episodes of A New Frontier]

From the Gallows is this past season of The Walking Dead distilled into a single episode. Every save glitch, every charming line of dialogue, every fully-realized character, every thinly sketched character, every well-blocked scene, every workmanlike visual, it's all here. These elements have been present across A New Frontier – some of them more dominant than others – so it's clear Telltale understands exactly what this game is.

Good for them. From my perspective, the credits have rolled, my time with A New Frontier is done, and I don't know that I can give it the hearty recommendation I assumed I would be delivering back in December. The gulf in quality between how well the season opened and how middling this finale turned out to be is a lot to surmount. It's not a terrible capper, but it's certainly not what I hoped for.

I thought we'd be seeing a legitimate contender to the Telltale throne, one that looked to tell a character-driven story about family of blood versus family of circumstance.  I don't think I've ever seen a video game obstinately refuse to address themes it previously introduced, but I suppose there's a first time for everything. Although the characters get a decent send-off, the finale really lets the whole season down – which doesn't bode well for Season Four.

Review: The Walking Dead: A New Frontier: From the Gallows screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2saHGHS