Sunday, April 15, 2018

News:: He may be ruthless and crazy, but I don't think I'd mind a world ruled by Kefka

Overthrowing tyrants and restoring peace is a cornerstone of the video game experience. It’s the ultimate power fantasy, one where you alone or you with a small group of friends right the wrongs of the world and cast out the darkness ruining the lives of the people who populate these worlds. It’s then you become a hero to be remembered for all times for your noble deed. Perhaps you even become the new king and rule over the denizens with a kind heart and brave soul. Drop the curtain, roll the credits.

But that’s the end of the game. In the beginning, these worlds are filled with people just trying to live their lives under these conditions. And as cruel as we’re told and eventually shown these rulers to be, chances are life in their court might not be as bad as we’re led to believe. After all, there is still some semblance of society in most games, so people are getting by just fine. In fact, I’m pretty sure I could lead a good long life if I had to live in The World of Ruin ruled over by Kefka.

I know life in a world literally torn to pieces wouldn’t be all sunshine and roses, but is it really so different from where I'm living now? The World of Ruin is defined by deserts, polluted water, burned forests, and barren wastelands. I live in California. All I have to do is drive five hours in any direction and I'll find one or more of those.  I'm always surprised to learn every year that we still have forests left to burn.

The only major difference between my life now and my life under Kefka would be the entirety of my family would probably be dead. That’s bad. However, a lot of people I don’t like, Wes for instance, would be dead too, so it’s really a wash. I’ve always thought the world would be better with fewer people, so as long as I too survive the God of Magic’s wrath, I’ll be like Burgess Meredith in "Time Enough at Last" but without the need for glasses.

You might be saying, “CJ, this is fucking stupid. Kefka is a madman who would kill you in an instant.” That’s true, but I live in America dammit. That’s probably going to happen to me anyway. At least if Kefka murders me, I'll go out of this world hearing his hypnotic laugh, which is kind of the best I could ask for anyway.

He may be ruthless and crazy, but I don't think I'd mind a world ruled by Kefka screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid https://www.destructoid.com/he-may-be-ruthless-and-crazy-but-i-don-t-think-i-d-mind-a-world-ruled-by-kefka-498073.phtml