Sunday, February 4, 2018

News:: Hubert Vigilla's Top 20 Films of 2017

2017 was a grim, crummy year for the world, but a pretty darn good one for film. So many of the movies I loved in 2017 tended toward strangeness or kindness, often a bit of both. I think we could all use a little bit more of each in our daily lives.

Even though this is a top 20 list, there’s a lot from 2017 I still have to see. I missed A Fantastic Woman and Foxtrot when they played for a week in NYC last year, and I’ve been meaning to get to The Big Sick, The Lost City of Z, Ingird Goes West, Detroit, and Columbus. On the documentary side, I still need to see I Am Not Your Negro, Rat Film, Strong Island, and so much more.

Still, incomplete as all lists are, here are my 20 favorite movies of 2017. Be excellent to each other. Party on, dudes. Be kind and strange. And, gosh, call your mother.

[Ed. Note: We do awards a bit different at Flixist. Most of our writers do not get early screenings or award screeners of movies, which means it isn't easy to see some of the films that only get limited releases in December for many of us. As such we wait a few weeks into January so that we can see everything before we choose our favorites, and then vote in February for the site's awards.]

Hubert Vigilla's Top 20 Films of 2017 screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid https://www.destructoid.com/hubert-vigilla-s-top-20-films-of-2017-486127.phtml