Sunday, January 7, 2018

News:: A gun to his head: the different endings of Telltale's Walking Dead games

A handful of days ago, I finished my first playthrough of The Walking Dead: A New Frontier. I was taken aback by how multi-faceted the run-up to the final moments turned out to be: lots of important choices, lots of different approaches that depended on your opinion of certain characters, and multiple potential missteps were present in the final chapter.

I discussed this with my boyfriend, who has only played the first season and was shocked that Telltale had even gotten to the third. His experience of Telltale games was a binary choice right at the end, a few deaths of slightly annoying characters here and there, and, really, the feeling that the player did nothing of much importance while experiencing the story.

My experience of The Walking Dead: A New Frontier was decidedly different. I felt like I had impact; that I was taking care of a mixed community of characters, and in my case, often condemning the bad apples to a grisly death. But which approach to storytelling did I prefer? Two choices at the end? Three choices? A mixture of potential outcomes? In hindsight, I think I might prefer the binary approach of season one of The Walking Dead above anything else.

(Needless to say, this article contains spoilers for seasons 1-3 of Telltale's The Walking Dead.)


A gun to his head: the different endings of Telltale's Walking Dead games screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2ma6MFw