Sunday, November 5, 2017

News:: X-Men Legends is still the greatest Marvel video game

Growing up, watching X-Men was a must for me. As the little porker I was, shunning daylight and exercise for the warm glow of my television set, I never missed an episode. I watched every damn adventure. All 76 of them, even the shitty ones. For the longest time, the X-Men were my favorite superheroes until Bryan Singer got his hands on the franchise and slowly started to make me fall out of love with them.

The movies may be of mixed quality, but that cartoon was frickin' excellent. Though, in retrospect, it was also cheap as fuck. Really, one of the cheapest looking cartoon series from my youth and I used to watch the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Gaming has almost always been pretty nice to my favorite Marvel team. Sure, their NES game was garbage coated garbage marinated in garbage-sauce, but that X-Men arcade beat'em up kicked balls and ass. When X-Men vs. Street Fighter first appeared at my local arcade, I pumped a fist full of quarters into that bitch. It was great, but nothing could compare to my absolute favorite X-Men game and overall favorite Marvel title: X-Men Legends.

Developed by Raven Software, Legends was the first X-Men game that really made me feel like I was part of a superhero team. Every other game I was just controlling one character, but here I was in charge of a group of four. Even if the story was built around the forgettable Magma, I absolutely ate up watching my chosen heroes team up and beat down hoards of identical enemies, Sentinels and ultimately, Magneto. It and its sequel Rise of Apocalypse are still, in my opinion, the only games to absolutely nail the X-Men. And though the formula blew up with the Ultimate Alliance duo of titles, I preferred the smaller, more focused cast of characters found in the Legends titles.

It's a great frickin' action RPG and I wouldn't mind seeing Activision talk Marvel into letting them make another one and not just one featuring figures from the MCU. It would certainly take the terrible taste of X-Men: Destiny out of the mouths of X-Men fans.

X-Men Legends is still the greatest Marvel video game screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2AajTLe