Monday, September 25, 2017

News:: Schooled: How I learned to love RPGs

[I think for a lot of gamers my age, Final Fantasy VII was the game that really introduced us to RPGs. Cedi, on the other hand, cut his teeth on our dear friend Mario's papertastic adventures and learned to love the genre as a result. Why is this blog being posted on Destructoid's Front Page? Because it's awesome. Also, because Cedi joined us for this month's Bloggers Wanted prompt! Tell us in the comments which game finally helped you to understand a new genre in gaming! - Wes]

RPGs are a fascinating genre of games. Their biggest draws to fans involve a lot of reading, doing math, and sometimes bawling uncontrollably. They're things that many kids don’t like doing, but somehow, they've captivated large audiences of all ages. If you described RPGs like that to me decades ago, I would maybe have treated them like Brussels sprouts. And yet, as I said last Sunday, one particular game won me over to this genre from an early age. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door lured me in with the platforming icon every kid knows, and I left the credits sequence having learned to love this genre. But Paper Mario, in all of its iterations, is very far from the standard RPG. So how did this game lure me into the genre as a whole?

I know this game is pretty much ancient at this point, but fair warning: I will be discussing TTYD story spoilers. If you're fine with spoilers, cool, but if you’ve never seen its story and you think that doesn’t matter in the slightest? Just gonna add that I felt the same until I played this game myself. I urge you to play it if you can. It’s worth the experience points.

Schooled: How I learned to love RPGs screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2yoQpbv