Saturday, May 6, 2017

News:: You've got character: Kotal Kahn (Blood God)

When it comes to competitive multiplayer games, we all have our favorite characters and classes. In this series, I'm putting some of mine under the microscope to see what makes them tick, how they fit into their games, and ultimately why I like them!

If you told me a few years ago that the fighting game I'd be spending the most time with in 2017 was Mortal Kombat X, I wouldn't have believed you. If you told me I'd also be spending that time with not only one of the freshly introduced new characters, but one of the most usual among them, I would have laughed right in your face. But here I am, still playing MKX, and still playing Blood God Kotal Kahn of all characters.

Picking a character is a personal choice in any fighting game, but in MKX picking a main is even more specific and complicated due to its variation system. There are essentially three versions of each character to choose from, and while these variations share the same basic moves, they each provide their own little tweaks and wrinkles to make them unique. One variation will be more focused on rush-down, another might offer easier combos but fewer options and so forth. 

For many players, this means picking a character and spending time learning each variation so you can swap between them to better adapt to specific match-ups. For others, this means a deep dive into ONE variation, a long, hard road to mastery using a single character. A blood oath sworn to a single path.

I don't know exactly how or why it happened, but Blood God Kotal Kahn became that character for me.  

You've got character: Kotal Kahn (Blood God) screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2qMMbYk