Sunday, April 2, 2017

News:: It is about time we got a Castlevania compilation

Last month, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night celebrated its 20th anniversary. 20 years ago, a game regularly seen on Best Of lists, showed the world that there was still demand for rich, intense 2D action in an era where everything was jumping to the next dimension. While there was a PlayStation at the Andriessen household during those days, we skipped out on Symphony as my brother and I were also making the jump to predominantly 3D games. A real shame because being a huge fan of Super Metroid that I was and still am, I know I would have loved it back then as much as I do right now, having just completed the game for the first time a few days ago. It’s practically perfect with so much to discover, such great music, excellent controls on my PlayStation TV and amazingly 90s voice acting. And those wonderful pixelated graphics still hold up so damn well. When I finished, I immediately wanted to play the next game in the series, something I couldn’t do because I, for some dumb fucking reason, traded in all of my Castlevania games years ago. Boy, if only I had a compilation of Castlevania titles.

How has this not happened already? You have a series with a mostly continuous storyline that spans 30 years and more than a dozen consoles, and the best we’ve seen so far is the first three games bundled for the PC. Several entries, including Symphony, Aria of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia and Super Castlevania IV, are often referred to as some of the best games ever created. It’s not like there isn’t a market for it. Mega Man games are ported to every goddamn system on the planet and they still get compilation releases from time to time to go along with their own fucking amiibo. Even if it was just the Metroidvania titles, it would still be one of the greatest compilations discs ever printed.

I know Konami isn’t really doing much with gaming right now outside of overpriced Bomberman games, Yu-Gi-Oh! apps, PES and whatever the fuck Metal Gear Survive is going to be, but surely someone in that company can see what a forehead-smackingly brilliant idea this is, and if you don’t think so, look at the reception Capcom got with its Disney Afternoon Collection announcement. It is inexcusable that a Castlevania compilation isn’t already a thing, and I can’t think of a better series that deserves all of its titles brought together on one disc.

It is about time we got a Castlevania compilation screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2nOu70G