Thursday, January 12, 2017

News:: Cold Vengeance is a clunky, pitch-perfect action game

I rarely put a game down and immediately start writing about it. I prefer to let my experiences soak in a bit so that my hot takes can marinate into coherent thoughts.

Today is different, though because I’ve been binging on Cold Vengeance and it’s rad as hell. The 3D run ‘n’ gun shooter looks like a long lost N64 game, but it just came out yesterday. It’s clunky, all low-poly models and erratic camera angles, but utterly chaotic when it gets moving. In a way, it reminds me of every absurd action movie I’ve ever seen: You run, shoot, and kick everyone’s ass from the second the game starts. And from what I’ve played so far, the action never bothers to slow down.

The first few levels feel like an even campier take on Escape From L.A. As Jon Dagger – yeah, that’s the protagonist’s name – you fight through rundown city streets and battle robots, flying Canadian shock troopers, and dudes in leather bondage suits wielding shovels. It's nutty, sure, but Cold Vengeance's over-the-top premise is a big part of what makes it work.

Cold Vengeance is a clunky, pitch-perfect action game screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2jmfBsH