Friday, December 23, 2016

News:: Destructoid's award for Overall Best Game of 2016 goes to...

When Blizzard was first founded in 1991 as Silicon & Synapse, I was in grade school. My first introduction to its work was Rock n' Roll Racing and The Lost Vikings, which I rented on a lark, partially because of the weird box art (back when this was a major selling factor at rental stores, which don't even really exist anymore!). Throughout the years, the publisher formerly known as S&S was basically my first lifeline into a lot of different genres. Before Command and Conquer and KKnD, I had Warcraft.

While I had dabbled in dungeon crawlers before Diablo, it really wasn't until I started roaming the streets of Tristram that I really became deeply embedded in one, and understood the concept of grinding for loot -- it was also my first 56K (I feel like I have to link this so some of you aren't lost), and thus, online gaming experience. Over the years I'd share some of the studio's later works with the most important people in my life, having Warcraft III marathon sleepovers with the girl that eventually became my wife, and playing Diablo II with friends who had moved on to different parts of the country, but still remained part of me.

In 20 years, I bet people will be saying a lot of those same things about Overwatch.

Destructoid's award for Overall Best Game of 2016 goes to... screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2hRe7Ix