Friday, November 11, 2016

News:: Dishonored 2 co-creative director Harvey Smith on success, cult game status, and gold-plated toilets

[Dishonored 2 is out today, and Chris is warping and killing his way through Karnaca to give you a review as soon as he can. In the meantime, you could read my extremely-last-minute interview with co-creative director Harvey Smith below to better understand Arkane's development process and perception of its game.]

Sitting in a dimly lit bar/lounge called The Edison that had me in a thematically-appropriate mood, I spoke with Harvey Smith at length about how his past projects have informed Arkane's latest, what it's like to be a household name in the gaming industry, and how he considers Dishonored a cult game. That last idea stuck out to me in particular. But first, let's set the stage.

I had just finished playing through the Clockwork Mansion level, using a provided device to record three playthroughs: one where I examined every little thing as Emily before realizing that would make for a horrible video, another where I played like a gosh-dang expert, and a third as Corvo just to try out his abilities in the provided environment. Due to some screw-up on my end, the footage is all jittery and unpublishable, so allow me to paint the (entirely fabricated) scene for you.

I ghosted through the whole level, not even breaking a sweat. A crowd of journalists and developers alike slowly filled in behind me, a burgeoning e-sports player easily worth millions of dollars, offering to buy me drinks. When I finished the level, Smith came up to me, a single tear gliding down his cheek as he ruffled my hair and said "Y'did good, kid." Then each person in attendance gave me $100 each so I could pay off my credit card debt.

Ahem.

Dishonored 2 co-creative director Harvey Smith on success, cult game status, and gold-plated toilets screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2fJu53j