Monday, November 28, 2016

News:: A couple of weeks later, I'm torn on the PlayStation 4 Pro

I probably should have waited to buy a PlayStation 4 Pro.

After a couple of weeks with Sony's higher-end console, that's the conclusion I've settled on as someone who is quite fond of PlayStation VR but doesn't yet have a 4K TV and likely won't until this time next year at the earliest. It's a strange and somewhat conflicted state of mind to be in, one you may or may not be able to relate to. I can't say I regret upgrading, knowing that the Pro will only get better as more games offer support. But I also can't say I'm terribly impressed with it, either.

It's a nice console, to be sure. I appreciate having double the storage space since I tend to buy a fairly even mix of digital and disc-based titles, both of which quickly chip away at the ol' HDD. It's also a joy to have less white noise coming from the fans (so far!), and the data transfer process from PS4 to Pro was surprisingly easy (it took a couple of hours via Ethernet cable, and everything just worked).

Of course, the big selling point is better-looking visuals. But that's only for titles that support the system, and even then it's not always clear what, exactly, has been improved. It can be obvious in side-by-sides, but sometimes, the changes are more granular or otherwise subtle when you're going off memory. I find myself regularly Googling for more specific patch notes from developers.

A couple of weeks later, I'm torn on the PlayStation 4 Pro screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2fviGIA