Tuesday, October 25, 2016

News:: My thoughts on region locking and the Nintendo Switch

Anyone who has frequented the Destructoid comment sections would know the level of exaggerated vitriol and venom that I’ve spewed forth due to my frustrations with region locking in the past. To put it plainly, I find it to be a highly inconvenient and archaic form of content management that has no place in a modern and globally-connected society. It prioritises the bottom lines of manufacturers and publishers well above the consumer, who sees no tangible benefit from its inclusion.

I’m not here to be as deliberately facetious as I have been in the past when discussing such a topic. Instead, I would like to try and explain my frustrations with region locking. I'd also like to express my hopes that Nintendo - the last major console manufacturer to still employ these kinds of restrictions on its devices - will finally move on from it and embrace the concept of region-free hardware with its new Switch console.

My thoughts on region locking and the Nintendo Switch screenshot

Read more...

via destructoid http://ift.tt/2e7oQKn