Saturday, June 11, 2016

News::The good, the bad and the weird at the Tokyo Toy Show

This year's Tokyo Toy Show failed to turn up anything as impressive as the things I cooed over back in 2014. (Perhaps that's why it's only held every two years.) However, I did get another glimpse into what (the hell) Japanese toy companies think about shoppers: nearly all girls' toys here are smothered in pink, gemstones and giant-eyed manga characters, while boys get a mix of trains, trains with cameras, trains that connect to your smartphone, and maglev ... trains. Barring the Disney/Star Wars juggernaut, as a non-Japanese resident of the city, I don't get the appeal of most of these things -- but then again, I'm also more than willing to lay down cash for a Magikarp coin purse. So maybe I'm not the best judge.



via Engadget RSS Feedhttp://ift.tt/1YhPXF5