Tuesday, October 7, 2014

News::Chasm feels like a love letter to Super Metroid and Dark Souls

Over the weekend, I was fortunate enough to check out the alpha build of Discord's enchanting procedurally generated action-RPG platformer Chasm. Now that I've finally had some hands-on with the game, I'd like to share my impressions.


We've talked about this gorgeous game on several occasions, but for those of you still unfamiliar with it, Chasm's list of influences should shed some light on what the team is going for. When asked which titles served as inspirations for the game, director James Petruzzi listed off classics such as Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night as well as The Legend of Zelda and Mega Man. Additionally, and this is something I would not have picked up on without poring over the game's newer screenshots, some not-so-subtle salutes to From Software's Dark Souls.


When I make reference to Discord's homage to Dark Souls, I don't mean it as an indicator of the game's difficulty as one might assume; moreover, I'm saying that those familiar with From Software's action-RPG will most likely feel right at home playing Discord's title due to some familiar mechanics found within the game.


Chasm feels like a love letter to Super Metroid and Dark Souls screenshot


Read more...



via destructoid http://ift.tt/1uXB79w