Wednesday, December 4, 2013

News::Review: Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers

I’ve never seen as much tragedy in a fighting game before I played Saint Saiya: Brave Soldiers. Maybe I should have been more prepared with a fighting game based on the lore of the classic anime, but as a casual partaker in Japanese animation and newcomer to the series it was hard not to become interested in the game’s narrative, as I punched the crap out of every foe that stood in my way, because someone always ended up dying. Well sort of dying, since nothing is ever permanent in anime.



Before my time with the game, my familiarity with the anime/manga was limited at best. Sure I’d heard of it -- thanks in part to a former co-worker of mine constantly telling me how awesome the show was as each new volume hit our store’s shelves -- but there was always something unexplainable that rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it was all the gorgeous hair or the muscled sexy dudes rocking the cover that bothered me... but really, I have no clue.


Well it’s been about a decade since I last had to think about Saint Sieya, and a lot in my life has changed. My anime palette has matured, while my appreciation for the past and the finer things in life has increased; basically I’m just getting old. But even with all my sentiment towards nostalgia, something there’s trove of in this fighter, does the rest of the game offer a solid experience for those looking to bust some heads with all the flavor and flash of a '90s anime?


Review: Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers screenshot


Read more...



via destructoid http://www.destructoid.com/review-saint-seiya-brave-soldiers-266797.phtml